Year Of Call: 1994
Matthew's specialist areas of practice comprise travel and holiday matters (all claims and recovery proceedings with a cross border element) and personal injury (with particular emphasis on employers' liability matters).
Matthew was appointed Queen's Counsel in 2017.
He has for several years been recommended for his consumer and travel law expertise as well as his personal injury practice in the leading directories. The Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide 2017 and The Legal 500 2017 directories quote clients as describing Matthew in the following ways:
“He has an amazing knowledge of conflicting jurisdictional issues.”
“One of the main players in the arena.”
"Has fantastic attention to detail and is always exceptionally precise and thorough. He is personable and quick to return papers."
"Provides excellent service and is a cross-border specialist."
"One of the main players."
"Simply one of the best travel barristers around. He has excellent all-round knowledge."
"A true expert in the field and able to deliver clear and concise advice in the most difficult of cases."
Matthew was Conciliator for the Passenger Shipping Association Conciliation Scheme between 2005 and 2010.
KXL & Others -v- Murphy & Anor  EWHC 3102 (QB)
The High Court, on 2 December 2016, handed down an important judgment...
Lady Christine Brownlie -v- Four Seasons Holdings Incorporated  EWCA Civ 665
On 3 July 2015 the Court of Appeal handed down judgment in Brownlie v...
Latest Publications Read more
- 'Holiday Violence' The Limits of Tour Operator Liability (1 Chancery Lane)
- 'Safe Trip:' Liability and Legionnaires' Disease (New Law Journal)
- Midlands Circuit
- Conciliator for the Passenger Shipping Association Conciliation Scheme 2005-2010
- Travel & Tourism Lawyers’ Association (Chairman 2008-2013)
- Personal Injuries Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- London Common and Commercial Bar Association
- Member Joint Academic Stage Board (Bar Standards Board nominee) 2002 to 2012
- British Spanish Law Association
- Registered Pupil-Supervisor